31 August 2009

Sangria


I had a hunch that this would be good. I also had a spark of curiosity on Saturday night, thinking back to Paris, a Tapas Bar called Les Pietons in the Marais had a decent Sangria and I was hell-bent on replicating it. It's pretty simple, the recipe, but there are so many variations! Maybe it was the unusually warm weather that drove me to drink...

One apple, one orange (both chopped into bite size pieces) and a pound of grapes later, Nick and I were pouring Rex Goliath into one of my best San Francisco purchases yet - my $10 decanter. We chose a Cabernet Sauvignon and a cheap bottle of wine, because it's going to be mixed with so many distractions anyway, it's pointless to throw money down the drain, not that it would've gone to waste CALM DOWN, we would've drank it! Back on track... I mixed the fruit with 2tbs of brown sugar and 1tbs of lemon juice and we let it "do it's thing" in the fridge for 24 hours, covered with foil so as not to get "leftover" tainted Sangria.

Pretty damn good if I am so bold to say! Not as tipsy as I would've liked, and next time I will call my boy Smirnoff 40-Proof over to get the party booming a little harder. Also, less grapes, maybe a half-pound next time.

People who add apple juice to their Sangria are quacks. Use the natural sugars of the orange juice to sweeten your drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment