04 February 2012

Mango-Strawberry Compote

This simple compote is tangy and sweet with just the right amount of spice to give into my endless love for chiles.



You need:
-1 cup sliced strawberries
-1 mango, cubed
-1 cinnamon stick
-2 cloves
-2 allspice berries
-1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
-1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
-1 shot of Kalhua
-1/3 cup of Sugar
-1 shot of agave nectar
-1/2 cup water
-Pinch of salt

Heat all of ingredients in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Once the mixture comes to a slight simmer on the edges of the pan, remove from heat and cover. If you overheat the strawberries they lose their color and become grey and mushy. Let this covered mixture cool until it comes to room temperature and then serve. I paired this dessert with a tart filled with Creme Patissiere but you can ladle it over Greek yogurt or bread pudding. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. this looks amazing Trevor. I'm allergic to mangoes do you think I could substitute another fruit??? any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would substitute it for papaya if possible. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm ok thank you! I'll ask Jay to make some for me.

    ReplyDelete