29 January 2011

Terrible Beer


My latest gastronomic guilty pleasure is a beer straight out of Quebec - Unibroue's La Terrible. Fanning through the aisles of beer in the liquor store can be frankly uninspiring when it comes to trying something new, and when it comes to darker brews, I normally opt for the classic Guinness. This deliciously dark bottle caught my eye when I noted the shimmering silver letters reading "Terrible."

Upon the first pour a thick black beer filled my glass and an airy brown head settled atop. This foam dissipated much too quickly for my liking, but the flavors made up for any fault in a lack of texture. Notes of dark chocolate, Tellicherry peppercorns, molasses, and cloves filled my palette accordingly. Reminiscent to a stout this ale is rich in flavor and the perfect alternative to a slice of chocolate cake for dessert. At 10.5% alcohol this brew is sure to entice the drinker and well worth the $10 spent.

And what's more, saying it with a Quebecois accent, "tear-eee-bleh" makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good. MMMM dark beer. And Quebecois accents... I can handle that. NICE CORK! WOWZA!

    ReplyDelete